|Please help improve this article or section by expanding it.|
Further information may be found on the talk page.
- "Dark Side" redirects here. For the album, see No More Heroes Sound Tracks: Dark Side.
Dark Side Mode is a trance in both installments of the No More Heroes video game series, activated by matching three slot icons at the bottom of the screen, typically following a successful Death Blow. The chances of the slot machine yielding a Dark Side powerup increase as the player's Slash Combo chain rises. There are five trances in No More Heroes and four in No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, although the series contains only six unique powerups. A seventh unique transformation, Super Mode, appears in Desperate Struggle, although it is not considered to be a Dark Side mode.
In No More Heroes, Dark Side Mode ends when the tiger displayed at the top of the screen reaches its goal; this time limit can be extended by learning the Technique of God from Randall Lovikov. In Desperate Struggle, Dark Side Mode is integrated into the Ecstasy Gauge and can be activated following throws and Down Attacks, in addition to Death Blows.
- Anarchy in the Galaxy: Appears in No More Heroes, activated by matching three 7s.
- Cherry: Appears in No More Heroes, activated by matching three cherries.
- Cranberry Chocolate Sundae: Appears in both No More Heroes and Desperate Struggle, activated by matching three BARs.
- Blueberry Cheese Brownie: Appears in both No More Heroes and Desperate Struggle, activated by matching three bells.
- Gooseberry Sugar Donut: Appears in Desperate Struggle, activated by matching three 7s.
- Strawberry on the Shortcake: Appears in both No More Heroes and Desperate Struggle, activated in the former by matching three grasshoppers and in the latter by three cherries.